There is no “Opt Out” option for parents in Arizona at this time. The Mommy Lobby AZ is working hard to garner support from our governor and legislature to recognize a parent’s right to opt out. However, you may choose to REFUSE the test.
Here are some steps you might choose to follow:
- Call your school to find out the specific test days that your child will be offered the test.
- You may then want to simply excuse your child from school on testing days and make-up days for “personal reasons”. Some schools may tell you the exact hours that they will be administering the test, so that students will not miss any important instruction time.
Simple refusal without missing any school days:
- Ask your child to “sit and stare”. You may want to tell them to not touch the test and to be quiet and respectful at their desk. Most teachers realize that sitting in front of a test is a complete waste of time and will eventually allow your student to read a book. Have you child bring a book to school so that they may be prepared for this. Reading is an excellent exercise for the brain and will help your child learn better than taking a test that has never been validated.
- Choose from the documents on our Print Opt Out Forms page. Just fill in the blanks, sign, and date.
- Give the forms to your school principal and make copies to give to your student’s teacher(s).
- If your school tells you that you do not have the right to opt your child out of taking the AZMerit, then you may want to tell them that you are REFUSING to allow your child to take the test. You can cite that this is your Constitutional, Natural, God-given right as a parent to direct the upbringing and education of your child. You are also a taxpayer who funds their school. They work for you, not the other way around. Also, you may assert that data collection on your child without your consent is in violation of the 4th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
For more info on parental rights please click here:
NOTE: The Arizona State Board of Education has not made a decision yet of what type of consequences they will place on children for refusing to take the AzMerit. Please contact Gov. Ducey right now and politely ask him to remove Board Members who support using our children as guinea pigs to line the pockets of testing consortia, and who support placing detrimental consequences on children for a ONE TIME test!
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” –George Orwell